The two Manchester clubs continued their assault on the Premier League by picking up victories albeit in different fashions.
23 September 2017
by:   Tim Fadipe

Manchester City for the second consecutive Premier League game scored 5 or more goals as they ripped apart Crystal Palace to beat them 5 nil. Palace held up well for the majority of the first half until Leroy Sane scored the opener in the 44th minute.

Sterling doubled the lead on the 51st minute, and this opened up the flood gates with Sterling added another for himself. Sergio Aguero and Fabian Delph rounding off the scoring for the Citizens.

For Palace, it is the sixth game of the season they are yet to score a goal and the fixtures don’t get any easier with Manchester United and Chelsea being their next two fixtures.

Elsewhere at St.Mary’s, Manchester United ground out a 1-0 victory over Southampton with Lukaku netting the only goal of the game. For the second week in a row United looked to face stubbon competition as they found it hard to break a well organised Southampton down. United Manager was disciplined and set to the stands by the referee after bizarrely grabbing the fourth official on the touchline.

Chelsea kept pace with the two Manchester clubs by securing a 4-0 win over Stoke City. Buoyed by a victory over Arsenal and securing a draw against Manchester United, Stoke could have been forgiven for thinking they could get the upset here. However, Chelsea were having none of it. Alvaro Morata scored his first hat-trick in Premier League football as his impressive start to English football continues.

In the early kick off, Tottenham secured a nervy 3-2 victory in the London derby against West Ham. Harry Kane continued his fine September form by grabbing a brace and Christian Eriksen calmly added the third. Javier Hernandez pulled a goal back before the erratic Serge Aurier saw red on the 70th minute. Cheikhou Kouyate added West Ham’s second on the 87th minute but Spurs managed to hang on to win their third away game of the season.

Elsewhere in the league, Watford ran out victors over Swansea at the Liberty Stadium, Burnley and Huddersfield played out a stalemate and shared the points and Everton came from behind against Bournemouth to get the much needed victory.

In the late kick off, Leicester and Liverpool played out a thrilling game at the King Power Stadium. Liverpool took control early on with first half goals from Mohamed Salah and a stunning free kick from Phillipe Coutinho. Shinji Ozakai pulled a goal back before half time for the Foxes to make it 2-1 at half time.

Jordan Henderson added the third goal for Liverpool on the counter attack but Jamie Vardy scored Leicester’s second just 90 seconds later. The game could have turned out differently if Vardy had converted his penalty to bring the game to 3-3 but Mignolet made the save and Liverpool held on win the game.

Looking for work?

Nuffin' Long TV has some of the most exciting opportunities around whether you’re a school leaver, a graduate or still studying. We perform at elite level with some of the greatest men and women in sports & entertainment. Click here for more info.